Thinking of Traveling?
Why Not Take a Wheelchair to Someone in Need!
Through the Travelers Program, individuals in the USA can purchase RoughRider America products in small volumes and take them as airline baggage on trips to the developing world. Most of RoughRider America’s partners buy large volumes of wheelchairs and distribute them through rehabilitation hospitals and other local partners. If you are planning to visit a person who needs a rugged wheelchair in the developing world, this program is for you.
“While working with Slum Women’s Initiative for Development in Uganda I met a very bright young teenager named Jayla, but because of her disability and the rural dirt roads that become impassable during the rainy season, she rarely left her grandmother’s hut. After telling my husband about Jalya, with the idea that we would sponsor her for her school fees, my husband mentioned a unique organization named Whirlwind that had developed the RoughRider wheelchair for people just like Jalya. When I returned to Uganda the following summer, my husband and I carried two RoughRiders as our excess baggage-one for Jalya and one for a mother of two we were connected to through the RoughRider America network.
Delivering the chairs was a fantastic success and we’re delighted that Jalya’s able to maneuver around her new school much easier in her RoughRider. Whirlwind was incredibly helpful pre-trip as she needed to be “assessed” for the chair several time zones away. They needed to be shipped to the East Coast ahead of my move to Uganda with a very slim turn around time. The folks at Whirlwind went above and beyond to educate us about the wheelchair and to answer our queries once in Uganda. Since that time we’ve continued to be in touch as we are so grateful to Whirlwind for their very hands-on approach that made the RoughRider transporting incredibly efficient.”
~ Raina Clark-Gaun, Development Worker
You can order the RoughRider using this website and it will be delivered to your home before you travel. We offer a price discount and information resources so that you can do your best to make sure that the chair fits the user and is appropriate for his or her needs.
- Review this page and make sure this program is right for you.
- Fill out the Travelers Program Form. You will receive a response email right away.
- Download and email the Wheelchair Rider Assessment Form to someone who can assess the user.
- Using the response email, send the complete Wheelchair User Assessment From to Whirlwind. Please CC the person who did the assessment.
- Whirlwind will double check the fitting prescription and email you a price discount code.
- Purchase your RoughRider online – don’t forget to use your discount code.
- The RoughRider will arrive in a few weeks.
Please submit a letter of support by email. After we receive your completed Wheelchair Rider Assessment Form, you will receive a special discount coupon code. You will use this code when you make your online purchase in order to receive the special price.
After Sale Service
The following product descriptions are available for riders and buyers:
- Assembly And Support Video can be viewed if you are having difficulty assembling the RoughRider.
- RoughRider User Manuals in various languages can be accessed to answer any further questions.
If you have any additional questions, please fill out the Travelers Program Form. If you need help with a previous order, please contact Whirlwind using the travel program email you already received.